This On Demand course and will be available immediately after purchase. Participants can watch, pause, and re-watch the sessions at their convenience.
When children and teens are in the grips of worry and anxiety, adults often feel stuck as well. Educators, therapists, and parents routinely tell me how overwhelmed they feel by the frequency and intensity of anxiety in the children they care about. And they want to know what to do.
This series will answer the questions I hear most often, including:
- How do we get anxious students into school?
- What do we do when an anxious child is falling apart in school?
- What can adults do to both prevent anxiety from becoming so powerful, and help children manage it when it does show up?
- Why are the strategies frequently taught to kids—like breathing, relaxation, and other common CBT techniques—not working?
- How does “frontloading” with anxious kids make interventions more effective?
- How can we get parents, schools, and outside providers to work together more effectively?
- How can we create more effective accommodations, 504’s, and behavioral plans for anxious children and teens?
- What is the connection between anxiety and depression?
Participants will learn to interrupt the most common anxiety and depression enhancing patterns–including reassurance, accommodation, avoidance, and three cognitive habits—and adopt instead a process-based “umbrella approach” that changes both the child and adults’ engrained patterns of thinking and behaving.
Online Course Format
- Online Training –Presented by Lynn Lyons, MSW, RSW
- 2 hours per session, 6 sessions
- Each session will consist of 2 hours of teaching content
- Non-Interactive – registrants will have access to lectures, PowerPoint presentation, demonstrations, video clips, and experiential exercises.
Education and Clinical Professionals: All education and mental health or healthcare professionals who work with children or youth including, but not limited to K–12 Classroom Teachers, School Counsellors, Learning Assistance/Resource Teachers, School Administrators, School Paraprofessionals including Special Education Assistants, Classroom Assistants and Childcare Workers • All other professionals who support behavioural challenges and complex learning needs including but not limited to: Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Addiction Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Probation Officers and Community Police Officers.
Lynn Lyons, MSW, RSW is an internationally recognized psychotherapist, author, and speaker with a special interest in interrupting the generational patterns of anxiety in families. Her skill-based approach to anxiety focuses on the need to teach families about HOW anxiety works and what families can do to pull members out of the powerful “anxiety cult” that demands obedience to its need for certainty and comfort. Lynn’s approach uses humour, playful connection, and a constant focus on DOING, an umbrella strategy she has taught to thousands of professionals and families.
Lynn is the co-author with Reid Wilson of Anxious Kids, Anxious Parents and the companion book for kids Playing with Anxiety: Casey’s Guide for Teens and Kids. She is the author of Using Hypnosis with Children: Creating and Delivering Effective Interventions and has two DVD programs for parents and children.
She maintains a private practice in Concord, New Hampshire where she sees families whenever she’s not on the road teaching.
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
For group and/or student rates please view our Terms & Conditions and contact email@example.com for more information and registration.
The pre-approval period for accreditation of this course has expired. Participants seeking accreditation must contact their associations directly. Please check with your association prior to registration if you require continuing education credits/units (CEU’s). We do not guarantee approval and fees may apply. As this course is no longer pre-approved for CEU’s it is being offered at a discounted rate.