This On Demand course and will be available immediately after purchase. Participants can watch, pause, and re-watch the sessions at their convenience.
All course content (quiz, certificate, videos) will be available until May 1, 2021. Extensions cannot be granted under any circumstances.
Registration will close on April 1, 2021.
The increasing rate of stress and trauma to children, which includes divorce, family breakdown, violence in society, and the media, has produced a “shell shocked” generation suffering from anxiety in many cases. The challenge for educators and clinicians is to recognize anxiety in children and help them cope. Dr. Christine Dargon will teach you how and why anxiety develops in children and adolescents. She will present practical treatment strategies that can be applied immediately.
The seven key anxiety disorders along with case examples to be addressed include:
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Overanxious Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Other co-occurring disorders (e.g. behaviour problems, medical conditions, depression, ADHD, learning disabilities, selective mutism) will also be discussed. Emphasis will be on creative interventions involving insight- oriented, cognitive-behavioural, biological, mindfulness, expressive arts and family systems approaches.
Online Course Format
- 12 hours of Online Training
- 12 CEUs
- Non-Interactive – registrants will have access to lectures, PowerPoint presentation, demonstrations, video clips, and experiential exercises.
Nature and Causes of Anxiety
- How anxiety develops in children
- Three ingredients in all anxiety disorders
- The “anxiety personality” –– assets and liabilities
Seven Key Anxiety Disorders
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Panic disorder
- Overanxious disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Social anxiety disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Learning Disabilities
- Selective mutism
- Expressive Arts
- Family Systems Approaches
Interventions and Self-Regulation Strategies
- The Floating Technique for panic anxiety
- Exposure and Response Prevention (ERP) for OCD
- Mindfulness for worry
- Solution Focused Intervention for worry
- Group therapy guidelines for social anxiety
- Visualization Desensitization for separation anxiety
- Three Questions Technique for parents struggling with child separation anxiety
- Three Step Technique for managing children’s stress
- Yoga games and breathing techniques for relaxation training
- Life Skills Program for generalized anxiety
- Virtual Reality approach for phobias
- Baby Buddhas meditations for anxious preschoolers
Education and Clinical Professionals: K–12 Classroom Teachers, School Counsellors/Psychologists, Learning Assistance/ Resource Teachers, School Administrators, School Paraprofessionals including Special Education Assistants, Classroom Assistants and Childcare Workers. All other professionals who support students including but not limited to: Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Addiction Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Probation Officers, and Early Childhood Educators.
Parents, Caregiver, Foster Parents, Grandparents, and Extended Family raising a child.
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
For group and/or student rates please view our Terms & Conditions and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and registration.