This On Demand course and will be available after purchase. Participants can watch, pause, and re-watch the sessions at their convenience.
Recorded footage and all course content (certificate, videos, quiz) will be available until October 20, 2022. Extensions cannot be granted under any circumstances.
Registration will close on October 6, 2022.
Sought after occupational therapist, Dr. Varleisha Gibbs PhD, OTR/L guides you on a journey. Dr. Gibbs walks you through the foundations for selecting appropriate interventions for children displaying challenging behaviors such as hyperactivity, aggressiveness, self-stimulatory, and inattentiveness amongst other concerns. You will leave ignited by revelations exposed in Dr.
Gibbs’ presentation. While the content is evidence-based, the workshop provides a simplistic connection of research based and clinically proven neurological approaches to addressing self- regulation. We will navigate the connections between neurobiology and the various sensory strategies, techniques, and equipment to use when working with children with challenges with self-regulation. This content provides approaches related to diagnoses such sensory processing disorder, Trauma, Autism, and ADHD diagnoses. Treatment techniques to be analyzed include: mindfulness, social skill programs, music and movement, and respiratory-based techniques.
To start, we will review the underlying neurological components to connect neuroanatomy to practice through:
- Virtual brain dissection with video wet labs, Basic neuroanatomy, pathways, and function are explored
- Reviewing the Autonomic Nervous System and its connection to stress, fear, and primitive reflexes
- Video examples of children in a sensory clinic will be used to demonstrate what happens when interventions are used appropriately.
Next, we devote analysis of specific treatment techniques:
- Activating the Vagus nerve and the system for regulation
- Addressing primitive reflexes
- The Self-Regulation and Mindfulness Program developed by Gibbs
- The ACTION from Trauma Approach developed by Gibbs and Co-Author Nikki Harley
- Applying your knowledge with intervention planning and goal writing for case examples of children displaying challenging social, eating, and sleeping behaviours
Education and Clinical Professionals: All education and mental health or healthcare professionals who work with children or youth including, but not limited to K–12 Classroom Teachers, School Counsellors, Learning Assistance/Resource Teachers, School Administrators, School Paraprofessionals including Special Education Assistants, Classroom Assistants and Childcare Workers • All other professionals who support behavioural challenges and complex learning needs including but not limited to: Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Addiction Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Probation Officers and Community Police Officers.
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
For group and/or student rates please view our Terms & Conditions and contact email@example.com for more information and registration.