This online course will be streaming live on October 26, 2022 from 8:30am – 4:00pm PT, 10:30am – 6:00pm CT, 11:30am – 7:00pm ET after purchase.
10:00am – 10:15am PT, 12:00pm – 12:15pm CT, 1:00pm – 1:15pm ET
12:00pm – 1:00pm PT, 2:00pm – 3:00pm CT, 3:00pm- 4:00pm ET
2:30pm – 2:45pm PT, 4:30pm – 4:45pm CT, 5:30pm – 5:45pm ET
Recorded footage and all course content (certificate, videos, quiz) will be available until November 28, 2023. Extensions cannot be granted under any circumstances.
Please allow 1 – 3 business days after the course airs for recorded footage to become available.
Registration will close on October 25, 2022.
Sought after occupational therapist, Dr. Varleisha Gibbs PhD, OTR/L guides you on a journey. Dr. Gibbs walks you through the foundations for selecting appropriate interventions for children displaying challenging behaviors such as hyperactivity, aggressiveness, self-stimulatory, and inattentiveness amongst other concerns. You will leave ignited by revelations exposed in Dr.
Gibbs’ presentation. While the content is evidence-based, the workshop provides a simplistic connection of research based and clinically proven neurological approaches to addressing self- regulation. We will navigate the connections between neurobiology and the various sensory strategies, techniques, and equipment to use when working with children with challenges with self-regulation. This content provides approaches related to diagnoses such sensory processing disorder, Trauma, Autism, and ADHD diagnoses. Treatment techniques to be analyzed include: mindfulness, social skill programs, music and movement, and respiratory-based techniques.
To start, we will review the underlying neurological components to connect neuroanatomy to practice through:
- Virtual brain dissection with video wet labs, Basic neuroanatomy, pathways, and function are explored
- Reviewing the Autonomic Nervous System and its connection to stress, fear, and primitive reflexes
- Video examples of children in a sensory clinic will be used to demonstrate what happens when interventions are used appropriately.
Next, we devote analysis of specific treatment techniques:
- Activating the Vagus nerve and the system for regulation
- Addressing primitive reflexes
- The Self-Regulation and Mindfulness Program developed by Gibbs
- The ACTION from Trauma Approach developed by Gibbs and Co-Author Nikki Harley
- Applying your knowledge with intervention planning and goal writing for case examples of children displaying challenging social, eating, and sleeping behaviours
Education and Clinical Professionals: All education and mental health or healthcare professionals who work with children or youth including, but not limited to K–12 Classroom Teachers, School Counsellors, Learning Assistance/Resource Teachers, School Administrators, School Paraprofessionals including Special Education Assistants, Classroom Assistants and Childcare Workers • All other professionals who support behavioural challenges and complex learning needs including but not limited to: Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Addiction Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Probation Officers and Community Police Officers.
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
For group and/or student rates please view our Terms & Conditions and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and registration.