This On Demand course and will be available immediately after purchase. Participants can watch, pause, and re-watch the sessions at their convenience.
All course content (quiz, certificate, videos) will be available until June 1, 2021. Extensions cannot be granted under any circumstances.
Registration will close on May 1, 2021.
Anxiety disorders are among the most common conditions diagnosed in children and adolescents and everyone feels anxious from time to time. Despite the prevalence of anxiety disorders, anxiety has been referred to as the “great masquerader” because it can present in surprising ways in the classroom, at home, and in a therapy setting.
This workshop will provide clinicians and educators with an understanding of anxiety as well as with frequently co-occurring conditions including depression, autism, ADHD, and learning disorders. A review of specific types of anxiety disorders and how to distinguish these conditions from “healthy stress” and “anxious moments” will be presented. Participants will learn therapeutic approaches and practical strategies for implementing changes to reduce anxiety within the clinical setting and classroom. Specific manualized treatment programs will be provided and psychopharmacological interventions will be discussed. Additionally, participants will learn tools for teaching coping skills and working with families to determine appropriate and effective school based supports.
Online Course Format
- 12 hours of Online Training
- 12 CEUs
- Non-Interactive – registrants will have access to lectures, PowerPoint presentation, demonstrations, video clips, and experiential exercises.
Topic 1: Anxiety Understood (2 hours, Meghan)
- Differentiating between “healthy stress,” “anxious moments,” and interfering anxiety
- Causes of anxiety
- Core components of anxiety
- Specific types of anxiety disorders
- Related conditions (OCD, trichotillomania and other habit disorders, tics)
- Co-occurring conditions
Topic 2: Therapeutic Approaches to Managing Anxiety (2 hours, Cara)
Specific Techniques in Therapeutic Approach
- Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
- Self-Regulation and Bio-feedback
Topic 3: Additional Therapeutic Approaches to Managing Anxiety (2 hours, Cara)
More Techniques in Therapeutic Approaches
- Exposure Response Prevention
- Family Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Commonly prescribed medications
- Medication efficacy
- Risks versus benefits
Treating Comorbid Symptoms
- Sleep Disturbance
- Poor Diets
- Skin Picking/Hair Pulling
- Sensory Issues
- Social difficulties
Topic 4: Empirically Validated Manualized Treatment Programs (2 hours, Cara)
- Coping Cat
- Cat Project
- Friends Program
- Social Effectiveness Therapy for Children
- Cool Kids
- Stand Up, Speak Out
Topic 5: Anxiety in the School (2 hours, Meghan)
Anxiety and the Classroom
- Classroom/Academic demands (i.e., tests, grades, behavior) impacting anxiety
- Anxiety impacting school functioning
- How anxious students impact teachers and vice versa
- Create a culture
Interventions in the Classroom
- The full cup and self-regulation
- Changing thoughts
- Changing behaviors
Topic 6: Developing Plans for Managing Anxiety at School (2 hours, Meghan)
- Communicating with families
- Assessing the problem
- Working together to determine short term and long term goals that make sense
- Managing specific/unique problems
- School refusal
- Separating from parents
iii. Selective mutism
- Panic attacks
Education and Clinical Professionals: K–12 Classroom Teachers, School Counsellors/Psychologists, Learning Assistance/ Resource Teachers, School Administrators, School Paraprofessionals including Special Education Assistants, Classroom Assistants and Childcare Workers. All other professionals who support students including but not limited to: Nurses, Social Workers, Psychologists, Clinical Counsellors, Family Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Language Pathologists, Addiction Counsellors, Youth Workers, Mental Health Workers, Probation Officers, and Early Childhood Educators.
Parents, Caregiver, Foster Parents, Grandparents, and Extended Family raising a child.
|Registration||Early bird Fee||Regular Fee|
All fees are in Canadian dollars ($CAD).
For group and/or student rates please view our Terms & Conditions and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and registration.